- Think delicious raspberries later in the year. You are under time pressure now to plant bare-rooted raspberries. Prune the canes of any summer-fruiting varieties canes (25cm) and autumn varieties to ground level.
- Choose your seed potatoes and allow shoots to form by leaving them in a cool, frost-free environment
- Moss, moss, moss! It’s there already, and it’ll start growing before the lawn grass does. Now is the time to get the upper hand. Raking and organic moss killer is the usual way, but there are ‘natural’ techniques suggested, including using everyday diluted detergent
- Check netting over the brassicas, which may have taken a battering over the winter and be allowing hungry birds to feast, and ensure pot plants hidden away in sheltered spots are actually getting water
- Bird boxes (esp for blue tits) need to go up this month
- Ventilate and clean the the greenhouse to prevents moulds and mildews
- Now is a good time to re-jig the plants in your garden that aren’t thriving, are damaged or simply are not working in a particular spot